Journaling is a way to track our everyday life. It is a written record of our thoughts and feelings, and it is also a way to prioritize and accomplish goals. For some people, It provides an opportunity for identifying negative thoughts and behaviour.
Journaling serves so many purposes. People of all ages have discovered that journaling is a valuable tool for improving one’s mental health. Keeping a journal allows you to enhance the quality of life and helps eliminate pressing mental issues depression, stress or anxiety.
What Is Journaling Useful For?
Journaling is known around the world to be useful for:
- improving our self-awareness
- reducing the symptoms of stress and depression
- eliminating bad moods and negative feelings
- enhancing your sense of well being
Journaling can be a strong tool for shifting thought from a restless and anxious to confident and empowered. Most experts recommend keeping a journal because it is a great stress reliever, and it’s helpful to those under emotional stress.
Why you should keep a journal
Journaling has made a great impact on our mental health and well-being. It helps you clear your head, reduce the effect of mental illness and make important feeling and behaviour. It can be effective for many reasons that differ and help you achieve a wide range of goals.
How To Start a Journaling Habit
1. Write in your journal every day: it is very important to have a habit of writing in your journal every day to help reduce mental stress. When you are less busy, schedule your journaling time into your time table like an important assignment.
2. Do not bother about proper sentences: your journal belongs to you so it is not necessary that all the words in it must be spelt correctly. You may choose to correct it at a later time or date
3. Get creative: you do not have to worry about writing in sentences or paragraphs. You can try different ways of formatting entries till you find one that suits your taste.
4. Process your negative emotions such as anger: write out your complaint about everything that is going on wrong because everyone has inevitable setbacks that they deal with and it’s hard to work through this emotions that some situations triggers
5. Make your journal judgement-free: write whatever you feel into your journal without attaching negative comments. Don’t judge yourself for trying to resolve this inner conflict.
Which Environment Is Conducive For Journaling?
It is very important to find a peaceful and quiet place when writing. Usually, writing during the nighttime is best. It allows you to recall everything that happened during your day. Though, whatever time you choose to write is your choice because there is nothing wrong in writing during day times if you have a quiet morning.
How Does Keeping a Journal Affect Your Moods?
Journaling affects our moods in so many ways:
- it helps your mind become calm
- it helps to measure your progress
- it brings out negative feelings and thought
- it allows you to find out more about the experiences that make you nervous or anxious.