Humility is an overlooked attribute that is hardly discussed. This attribute is heavily mentioned in religious scriptures, but many people don’t believe in its practice. Nonetheless, this is a quality that is currently very essential. In fact, humility is one of the most powerful and significant characteristics of growth.
Humble people can quickly build trust and encourage learning. These are core elements of personal growth and leadership. As Nelson Mandela, a visionary, once said “The first step is, to be honest with yourself. A person can never have an impact on society if they’ve not changed themselves. Great peacemakers are people of integrity, of honesty, but humility.”
What is humility?
Humility is the attitude or feeling that you are no better than the next fellow. This means a humble person has no element of pride around them. Humility would seem like an unfavorable quality at first glance, almost like a weakness instead of strength. In actuality, humility is a form of modesty that a person or a leader needs to go far in life.
Lack of humility in a person promotes arrogance in them. This is common in people who assume they are better than other people. Since they do not acknowledge their shortcomings, there is no room for improvement or change in an arrogant person. An individual who lacks humility does not have a mentality for development.
The world’s greatest fighter is not above errors. The best coach in the world still has plenty to learn about success and should continue their duties not just as trainers but also as individuals willing to learn. Trainers or contenders who lack the ability to acknowledge how easy it is to make mistakes will never be able to reach their potential ultimately.
Why is humility necessary?
Being humble doesn’t mean a person lacks pride. Instead, it includes being aware of the time, place, and attitude with which to express their strength with the rest of the world. The following are examples of what it means to maintain a life full of humility and modesty:
- Knowing when to apologise after you make a mistake
- Giving a compliment to your opponent, even when you are winning
- Ensuring that others around you are equally benefiting, instead of hoarding all the success
- Knowing when to call it quits
- Not above learning new tricks and accepting criticisms with a good heart
- Admiring, instead of being jealous of people above you
- Helping others below you to grow instead of putting them down
Humility is an effective weapon for self-improvement. People who live humble lives can easily recognize what part of their lives needs addressing. Most people lose their chance to develop their skills or talents because they aren’t humble enough to accept correction.
Humility is also a major factor for positive inner well-being. Getting frustrated and upset when things don’t work well is a significant part of life’s struggle. It is essential to understand the concept of humility to be able to explore life’s ups and downs of life with ease.
5 Key steps to becoming more humble
It is obvious how essential a modest mentality is in getting what you want. The next best thing is to develop that mindset, mainly because no one is born humble; it has to be cultivated.
The following includes simple ways of developing humility:
1. Build self-confidence: Confidence is required to living life to the fullest. This also means that a humble person can also be confident without being labeled as being too proud. There are several ways to develop your confidence, and you could start by dressing well, looking good, smelling nice, and work on creating an excellent first impression. You can also take some time to reflect on how much you’ve accomplished and remind yourself that being successful is the accumulation of small winnings.
2. Ask the right questions: Humble People are aware that asking questions, instead of staying quiet, doesn’t mean you’re weak or less informed. If anything, making inquiries on subjects you are not an expert on makes you physically and mentally healthy. This also tells the individuals around you that you are humble enough to learn new things from them.
3. Get out of your comfort zone: From experience, people who spend more time in their comfort zone don’t get much done. Many believe that if you get out of your comfort zone more often, you will achieve countless things.
No one would believe you are a good rapper if they’ve never heard your bars before. It helps to try new things once in a while, and you could start by creating a list of things you’d like to try. Don’t just make a list, tick them as you accomplish them!
4. Don’t lose sight of your goal: You need to continually remind yourself why you are doing whatever you are doing. Acknowledge that you are doing all you can to achieve a goal. This step ought to make you understand how important what you are doing is.
You can also take the time to jot down your dreams and aspirations in a journal. You can also read these items out loud early in the morning and at night before you sleep. This could serve as a daily affirmation to guide you through life as you try to better yourself.
5. Take some time to reflect on your character: When a person acts unfavorably, it can be a sign of their upbringing, lifestyle choices, or their social and mental development. Maintaining a positive mindset helps a person display their humility towards other people. It helps to consider how your attitude towards others portrays your character. You may need to check your actions if people disrespect you when they should be doing the opposite.
Below are some factors to consider when considering your behaviour:
Strengths and weaknesses
It helps significantly to maintain focus on the positive. You can start by reminding yourself of areas where you dominate and think of ways to improve. People who are excelling in different areas of their lives should also know that there is plenty of room for improvement.
Additionally, it is imperative to consider your weaknesses, especially since everyone has them. No one is perfect, right?! Are there things you do not understand, and you need more insight on? Don’t be afraid or too proud to ask from those you can learn from; no matter the status difference. Admitting your weaknesses and working on them is a step in the right direction to personal growth.
The process of fulfilling your dreams can change your mindset about many things. Don’t forget to write down the thousands of ideas swimming in your head. Pay attention to what goes on in your mind and observe the growth in your thinking process.
Individuals who are revered or perceived as outstanding are commonly put on a pedestal. The need to be a humble leader can’t be emphasized enough. This means your ego as a leader should be put in check as often as possible. You can take some pointer from past leaders and people who inspire you to be great. It helps to use that as a standard to forge your humility.
Humility isn’t an easy feat, but it is necessary if you want to be a good leader. Nonetheless, future leaders should know that humility is simply a construct of the character of human. If your teacher shows you something new that you may be finding difficult to execute, remember you are doing your best at the level you are. Don’t forget that practice perfects and your persistence is sure to yield positive results.
The Importance of Humility – gloveworx